I wanted to document the whole experience of having Emery, so if you're not interested in hearing about birthing details and whatnot, you can skip this post. :) First, I have to say all is well here at the Oberg household. We are all adjusting, especially Sage, and we all just love Emery to pieces.
So I was a week past my due date when I had my dr appointment and they started to tell me the risks of going past 41 weeks and they told me they saw meconium in the amniotic fluid (which turned out not to be the case). My midwife said it was completely up to me but I could be induced if I wanted to. It was a hard decision since I wanted to go natural and let the pregnancy take its own course. After a lot of thought and discussion we decided to try the least invasive method of taking prostaglandins, a medication that can help ripen your cervix and possibly help your body start labor. After a frustrating experience of the hospital saying "yes come in tonight" then "nevermind we are full, come in the morning" and in the morning "call in an hour" we finally got in at 9 am Saturday. It took awhile to check in and meet with the midwife. She gave me the option of 2 forms of prostaglandins: the pill form (faster, but once its absorbed you can't turn back) or the tampon form (takes up to 12 hrs but can be removed if you don't respond well). I chose the tampon form which surprised the midwife, she said prepare to be there for awhile and sometimes it doesn't work. So I got the medication at 12:30ish. Not a lot was happening, just some mild cramping, until 2:30 I had what I thought was just a really uncomfortable back cramp. All of the sudden a team of medical people rush in and tell me the babies heart rate has dropped, we are going to prep you for a C-section. They gave me a shot to relax the contraction, broke my water, put a monitor on the babies head and started telling me the risks of a C-section. We were so shocked and I thought "oh no, I made the wrong choice" but within minutes the 5 minute contraction ended and her heart rate went back to normal. The midwife then told me I made the right choice by not doing the pill form because they were able to take out the other form and let my body do the rest. From there I had one minute contractions a minute to 2 minutes apart and started progressing really fast. I really enjoyed the tub and it made the contractions much more bearable. Then after 4 hours of active labor, Emery was born. So it really was quick and that made it much more bearable without pain medications.
I don't think I realized how much the whole birth experience would affect me. I feel such a bond with Emery knowing we experienced that together, we both had to work hard. :)
She is such a great baby, so far she is eating and sleeping like a normal newborn but with no problems. I feel so blessed to have her in our lives, she truly is our gift from Heavenly Father. Below is me meeting Emery for the first time!

3 comments:
4 hours! That's awesome. I am so glad everything worked out so great! Giving birth is such an amazing experience.
You are a rockstar! Isn't giving birth incredible!?! It's crazy to think about in one day you can have the most pain ever and the most joy ever! I'm glad you and baby are healthy. Can't wait to hold her in December! Glad you have your mom there to help and snuggle your adorable baby. Love the outfit in the last post. Thank you for sharing your birth story. Love ya!
Thanks for sharing this! I am so glad it went well and you are both so healthy and happy.
Post a Comment